shabby blog

changes in latitudes header

changes in latitudes header
49ers 5k fundraiser adventures Aidan Ancel Keys Aunt Sandy Uncle Dave B.S. bad days bad storm baking basketball be happy beachin' it BEAT DOOK Becky bestest friends in the world BIG WIN blessed blogging boot camp Bryttava and Rob Campbell campbell clan cappuccino carbohydrates catnip plant challenge child change cheer christmas church close call Coach Harbaugh courage croissants Dad Devin Dexter Strickland DINKing it do something Doherty Earth Day Easter bunny eat good food encouragement EPIC FAIL evolution family family bakery family origins fat February FIND A CURE fishing Florida flowers football French cafe friends fun gamblin' gardening getting in shape ghrelin glucose GO PHIL God good book good cause good food good movie good science/bad science GOOFBALLS green beer green thumb grief growing up GW Haley happy birfday Happy Groundhog Day Happy Saint Patty's Day Harbaugh Bowl Harrison Barnes health health quest hibatchi highs and lows history lesson holidays House of Refuge hug a tree. endangered animals Hutchinson Island in Roy We Trust insulin Ireland Irish Royalty Jimmy Buffett Johnny Jonathan Judy Judy and Tom Kathy kayaking Kendall Marshall Kentucky ketones ketosis Kevin kid-at-heart laugh Leo the cat leptin Lois Lois and Steve love love my job love this weather LOVE VISITORS lucky me lucky to be alive macaroons man vs nature margaritaville Mediterranean diet memories Mexico Michael Jordan Michele Mikey mom morning glories my garden my girls Nancy Nathaly new home new year's eve new year's resolutions Nicky Nicole nourishment nutrition oh happy day painting Palm Beach paradise Paris in Town PBC Boot Camp pestering pirates prayer Ralph Lauren reading Reggie Bullock relief running sailing Scotland seedlings Seshie shopping Sigma Kappa Singer Island ski trip smart mouth snorkeling sore muscles ouch spring break Square Grouper starvation staying in touch Super Bowl taking it easy Tar Heels terror thank you the calorie trap the Emerald Isle the ocean the power of nature the Sunshine State there are good people in the world things that matter think about it Thirsty Turtle time flies tropical TURTLE SEASON turtle walk Turtlefest turtles Ty Lawson Tyler Zeller universal studios Uptown Art Uncorked vacation Varsha Varsha's African Adventure Vero Beach wedding planning weight Will wine winter WPB

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Here's to 2015

 I find beauty in the blank page. Resembling a blanket of freshly fallen snow, I can hear my own thoughts and as they start to unravel I make a slow, measured path down the page. This could also be why I love the start of a new year. It's like a blank canvas from Father Time. Wipe the slate clean and begin again, only this time wiser than before. 

My amateurish ventures into nutrition have definitely made me wiser. Although, sometimes I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole and perhaps ignorance really was bliss. But most of the time I don't believe that. As Maya Angelou loved to say, "When you know better, you do better." I do better for the most part. Sometimes I have to put a blindfold on part of my brain just to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie like a normal person instead of thinking of sugar addiction and the massive sugar industry and its infiltration of our food system and the massive health consequences facing humanity (BE QUIET BRAIN AND JUST ENJOY THE DAMN COOKIE!).

There's also the frustrating fact that for every question I've researched, I have at least 10 more questions once I find the answer. And I'll dig, and dig some more, and email some random doctor halfway around the world and get a thoughtful-but-not-altogether-illuminating reply... and then my questions keep multiplying but my options for answers run out. It's like reading a really suspenseful murder mystery and never finding out whodunnit.

So this year, I'm reeling myself in a little bit and just posting some of my thought process and questions from my forays into nutrition and health. Maybe I'll find the big answers, maybe I won't. But I think a lot of what I learned along the way is valuable.  I'll begin the year with the story of one of my main obsessions that got me on this path in the first place: ketones, glucose, and their relationship to the "emperor of all maladies."

No comments:

Post a Comment