shabby blog

changes in latitudes header

changes in latitudes header
49ers 5k fundraiser adventures Aidan Ancel Keys Aunt Sandy Uncle Dave B.S. bad days bad storm baking basketball be happy beachin' it BEAT DOOK Becky bestest friends in the world BIG WIN blessed blogging boot camp Bryttava and Rob Campbell campbell clan cappuccino carbohydrates catnip plant challenge child change cheer christmas church close call Coach Harbaugh courage croissants Dad Devin Dexter Strickland DINKing it do something Doherty Earth Day Easter bunny eat good food encouragement EPIC FAIL evolution family family bakery family origins fat February FIND A CURE fishing Florida flowers football French cafe friends fun gamblin' gardening getting in shape ghrelin glucose GO PHIL God good book good cause good food good movie good science/bad science GOOFBALLS green beer green thumb grief growing up GW Haley happy birfday Happy Groundhog Day Happy Saint Patty's Day Harbaugh Bowl Harrison Barnes health health quest hibatchi highs and lows history lesson holidays House of Refuge hug a tree. endangered animals Hutchinson Island in Roy We Trust insulin Ireland Irish Royalty Jimmy Buffett Johnny Jonathan Judy Judy and Tom Kathy kayaking Kendall Marshall Kentucky ketones ketosis Kevin kid-at-heart laugh Leo the cat leptin Lois Lois and Steve love love my job love this weather LOVE VISITORS lucky me lucky to be alive macaroons man vs nature margaritaville Mediterranean diet memories Mexico Michael Jordan Michele Mikey mom morning glories my garden my girls Nancy Nathaly new home new year's eve new year's resolutions Nicky Nicole nourishment nutrition oh happy day painting Palm Beach paradise Paris in Town PBC Boot Camp pestering pirates prayer Ralph Lauren reading Reggie Bullock relief running sailing Scotland seedlings Seshie shopping Sigma Kappa Singer Island ski trip smart mouth snorkeling sore muscles ouch spring break Square Grouper starvation staying in touch Super Bowl taking it easy Tar Heels terror thank you the calorie trap the Emerald Isle the ocean the power of nature the Sunshine State there are good people in the world things that matter think about it Thirsty Turtle time flies tropical TURTLE SEASON turtle walk Turtlefest turtles Ty Lawson Tyler Zeller universal studios Uptown Art Uncorked vacation Varsha Varsha's African Adventure Vero Beach wedding planning weight Will wine winter WPB

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reflections and Resolutions

2012 and 2013 were amazing years for me: I moved to Florida from DC, started a new career, got married, toured Europe, witnessed about a dozen friends get married or have kids, bought a house, renovated said house, and hosted the holidays in the new home for the first time. These years kept me so busy that I have had little time to pause and reflect, and even less time to write. In 2014, I'm resolving to take more time to write and pursue hobbies that nourish me. Taking care of myself translates to a happier, more deliberate citizen of this grand world and allows me the energy to give more freely of myself to others (another resolution).
Losing weight is a common new year's resolution, perhaps even a cliche new year's resolution, but it certainly was my resolution in 2012 (before the wedding). I read about preventative health and nutrition a lot, so I realize that people have strong views on nutrition, much akin to politics. With that in mind, know that I'm sharing this story for those of you who are somewhat open minded. Perhaps you are struggling with your weight or your health. You may be committing to a new routine that turns out not to work (like so many plans out there). Maybe my story will help you think about things differently. Maybe it will free you from counting calories in and calories out. (I really find that exhaustive no matter how cool the gadget is.) Maybe you will stop feeling so guilty for having the basic physical impulse called hunger. Maybe you will not feel so inadequate when the scale doesn't budge.  

http://thetrendguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/New-Years-Gym-Resolution.jpgA lot of the research I read on nutrition is written by doctors who take the necessary dispassionate, methodical approach to their work. How this information translates to a normal human being is rarely accurately reported on in the modern media, which is driven by ratings and website hits. I've realized how even people with the best of intentions cause a damaging web of misinformation. Millions of people are critically ill after following the conventional wisdom. Millions more have low self-esteem from measuring their self worth and will power with the "calories in, calories out" mantra. It's one thing to say that premise is false, it's another thing to understand just how liberating the truth can be to the millions of people who care about their health and have the wrong information. 

Mainly what I understand is that our journey to good health is frequently a road with no signs and no map. Or worse, the wrong signs and a backwards map.  Or someone else's map and in a foreign language! For any one study on nutrition, you can read something else that completely contradicts it. So whose map do you follow? Keeping an open, yet critical mind, I found it best to draw my own.

In 2013, I had a sort of nutritional revelation. I had a blood test earlier in the year that showed I was deficient in vitamin B12. It was affecting everything: my memory, my energy, my mood, my sleep, my metabolism, and, of course, my health. I had no idea it could do all these things. None of my previous doctors had ever bothered to test me for this deficiency before. There are a million reasons why a person can't sleep or is moody and I appeared healthy and led a healthy lifestyle. At least, I thought I ate healthy (low-fat proteins and whole grains with lots of veggies and fruit). I was eating normal portions and exercising regularly. I didn't think my diet could possibly be to blame until my blood test came back and I started learning about B vitamins and how many nutrients in all the foods I was eating are fat soluble. FAT SOLUBLE. Strange because I thought fat was bad for you. In addition, B12, which is essential to the central nervous system, is only found in animal fat. HOLY BACON BATMAN. I thought vegetarians were the healthiest people on the planet and vegans were basically masters of self control with impeccable health. Yet, here is this essential nutrient whose absence was turning me into a zombie, that is ONLY found in animal fat. Yet, still, I needed a lot of convincing that animal products, particularly fatty animal products were good for me. So I started reading more critically and my world was turned upside down. 

A lot of what I found is controversial and some of it even lacks solid proof, so I hesitate to get into it in-depth right now, but I'll share a few of my favorite resources that got me to stop freely accepting conventional wisdom without critical thought. The point is, all of these authors could still be wrong about certain things, but they are at least thinking critically about the facts. As Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." My modern translation = draw your own nutritional map. Read people who contradict your worldview on nutrition, so that you get a better understanding of the facts. If you are in decent health, experiment with food and observe how different food groups affect you. Most of all, remember that YOU are the largest shareholder in your long-term health, YOU have the most at stake, and YOU care far more than the media, the government, agra-business, and certainly more than the pharmaceutical industry. No one else but you will care for your health, so think long and hard before you give up on it. To quote Mary Oliver, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" I don't think it's dying young or suffering from chronic illness... (that last bit was me.)

Dr. Peter Attia

Dr. Robert Lustig

Gary Taubes
My favorite quote on this topic appears in his NYT article, What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?
Phil Handler, then-president of the National Academy of Sciences, testified in Congress in 1980: ''What right,'' Handler asked, ''has the federal government to propose that the American people conduct a vast nutritional experiment, with themselves as subjects, on the strength of so very little evidence that it will do them any good?'' [Regarding legislation pertaining to the food pyramid]

Dr. Mary Enig

Dr. Thomas Seyfried
(Not as off topic as you would think, but I will save my thoughts on this for another post.)

Without going through all the gritty details, what I will say is what has helped me the most in my search for long-term health is thinking about the quality of food versus simply measuring calories consumed and calories burned. I also found that finding the foods that boost your long-term energy levels makes a huge difference and can be highly individualized. For me it's a diet rich in healthy fat like fish, grass-fed beef and butter, olive oil, eggs, nuts, cheese, cream, spinach, berries, and avocados. Some people are allergic to nuts and dairy, so, no, there's no one way to eat that works for everyone. But thinking about your genetics (my ancestors lived in cold places with little agriculture) and being attune to how certain foods affect you can play a huge role in helping you find a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

I hope this wasn't too preachy, my goal is to encourage and inspire those who find this interesting. It's certainly something that I find fascinating. Nourishment of the mind, body, and soul is my theme for 2014. 

1 comment: